- Boston College TE Chris Pantale suffered a broken foot at practice and will miss “a significant amount of time." Coach
Frank Spazianimade the announcement Friday after getting back X-rays of the injury. “He’s a tough kid, and he pushes himself through a lot, but you can’t push yourself through a broken bone,” Spaziani told Alex Prewitt of the Boston Globe.
- While Clemson RT Gifford Timothy recovers from knee surgery after suffering an injury at practice, coach Dabo Swinney is looking for a way to replace him. Redshirt freshman Joe Gore gets the call, but Swinney said C Dalton Freeman might get time at RT as well. Travis Sawchik of the Post and Courier had the details from this week’s practices.
- Florida State may add to its 2013 recruiting class on Monday morning. Athlete Kermit Whitfield of Orlando Jones High School will make his college announcement at 10 a.m. on a webcast hosted by the Orlando Sentinel. Whitfield originally said he was going to play at Miami but decommitted in March. He’ll choose among Florida State,Miami , Clemson, Ohio State, Florida and West Virginia .
- Virginia senior TE Paul Freedman spent four days in London right before preseason practice started in Charlottesville. He was visiting his girlfriend, Paige Selenski, who played on the Team U.S.A. field hockey team. Selenski had one goal in six games as the U.S. went 1-5. Norm Wood of the Daily Press talked to Freedman about his trip.
- Virginia Tech named five people to its athletics Hall of Fame, including former WR Andre Davis, who played with the Hokies from 1998 to 2001. He’ll be inducted with honorees from women’s basketball, track and field, and athletics administration at halftime of the home football game against Austin Peay Sept. 7, according to Hokiesports.com.
For more up-to-the-minute news and analysis from ACC bloggers Shawn Krest and Sean Bielawski, follow