Notre Dame tight end Michael Mayer is one of the top prospects, regardless of position, as we look ahead to the 2023 NFL Draft. A five-star recruit out of Covington Catholic High School in Kentucky, Mayer went on to become the best tight end in Notre Dame history in just three seasons, setting the all-time marks at his position for catches, receiving yards and receiving touchdowns. He's an all-around tight end without a true weakness, which will make him very desirable come April's draft.
Below is a comprehensive draft profile for Mayer, including his high school and college accolades, scouting report and NFL prospect outlook.
Note: This profile will be updated as more information becomes available.
- Age: 21
- Year: Junior
- Height: 6-4 1/2
- Weight: 251
- Hometown: Independence, Kentucky
- Interesting fact: First Notre Dame tight end to earn consensus All-American honors since Ken MacAfee in 1977
Position: No. 1 TE | Overall: No. 9
"Mayer has great size for the tight end position. He showcases strong hands and an ability to get upfield quickly after the catch. The Kentucky native is not going to test off the charts physically, but there is zero wasted motion in his game. Mayer is a bear to bring down in open space, and he does a sufficient job of blocking both in space and inline. There is comfort for teams in knowing what they are getting by selecting Mayer -- nicknamed "Baby Gronk" dating back to his freshman campaign." -- CBS Sports NFL Draft analyst Josh Edwards
- 2022: First-team All-American (AP, Walter Camp Foundation, The Sporting News)
- 2022: Second-team All-American (FWAA, AFCA)
- 2021: Third-team All-American (AP)
- 2020: Freshman All-America First Team (247Sports, The Athletic)
- 2020: All-ACC third team
- Career: School's all-time leader at tight end in catches (180), receiving yards (2,099) and receiving touchdowns (18)
- 2022: Single-season school record for receiving touchdowns (nine) by a tight end
- 2021: Single-season school record for receptions (71) and receiving yards (840) by a tight end
- 2021 (vs. Florida State): Tied school record for most receptions in a game by a tight end (nine)
High school: Covington Catholic (Alexandria, Kentucky)
Composite Rating: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (0.9833)
- National: 32 | TE: 2 | Kentucky: 1
High school accolades: Second-team All-American (MaxPreps), first-team junior All-American (MaxPreps), Gatorade Kentucky Football Player of the Year, Kentucky Football Coaches Association Mr. Football, 5A District 5 Player of the Year, All-American Bowl selection