California @ Utah
Current Records: California 3-19; Utah 15-9
What to Know
The California Golden Bears have quite the challenge ahead of them as they're expected to be blown off the court. They will hit the road for the third straight game as they head to Jon M. Huntsman Center at 6 p.m. ET Sunday. They have been on the wrong side of a one-way rivalry with the Utah Utes and are hoping to record their first win since Jan. 16 of 2021.
The matchup between the Golden Bears and the Colorado Buffaloes this past Thursday was not a total blowout, but with California falling 59-46 on the road, it was darn close to turning into one. Forward Grant Newell had a pretty forgettable game, playing for 30 minutes but putting up just eight points and four turnovers.
Meanwhile, Utah was within striking distance but couldn't close the gap this past Thursday as they fell 78-72 to the Stanford Cardinal. Utah's defeat came about despite a quality game from guard Lazar Stefanovic, who shot 6-for-14 from beyond the arc and finished with 26 points, five dimes and six boards.
California is now 3-19 while Utah sits at 15-9. A pair of numbers to keep in mind before tip-off: California is stumbling into the game with the 358th fewest points per game in college basketball, having accrued only 59.6 on average. The Utes' defense has more to brag about, as they they come into the contest boasting the 19th fewest points allowed per game in college basketball at 62.4. So the cards are definitely stacked in their favor.
How To Watch
- When: Sunday at 6 p.m. ET
- Where: Jon M. Huntsman Center -- Salt Lake City, Utah
- TV: ESPN University
- Follow: CBS Sports App
- Ticket Cost: $2.00
The Utes are a big 16-point favorite against the Golden Bears, according to the latest college basketball odds.
The oddsmakers had a good feel for the line for this one, as the game opened with the Utes as a 15-point favorite.
See college basketball picks for every single game, including this one, from SportsLine's advanced computer model. Get picks now.
Utah have won ten out of their last 15 games against California.
- Dec 29, 2022 - Utah 58 vs. California 43
- Feb 19, 2022 - Utah 60 vs. California 58
- Dec 05, 2021 - Utah 66 vs. California 58
- Feb 11, 2021 - Utah 76 vs. California 75
- Jan 16, 2021 - California 72 vs. Utah 63
- Feb 29, 2020 - California 86 vs. Utah 79
- Feb 08, 2020 - Utah 60 vs. California 45
- Jan 26, 2019 - Utah 82 vs. California 64
- Feb 10, 2018 - Utah 77 vs. California 43
- Mar 09, 2017 - California 78 vs. Utah 75
- Mar 02, 2017 - Utah 74 vs. California 44
- Feb 02, 2017 - California 77 vs. Utah 75
- Mar 11, 2016 - Utah 82 vs. California 78
- Jan 27, 2016 - Utah 73 vs. California 64
- Jan 03, 2016 - California 71 vs. Utah 58