Luck was sharp, everyone was impressed, and Colts fans are excited.
Here's how his day broke down:
Passing: 10 of 16, 188 yards, 2 touchdowns
Rushing: 1 carry, nine yards
Scores: Brown, 63 yards; Collie, 23 yards
First Drive (0-0, IND 37: 1 play, 63 yards, TD)
- 1st-and-10: Complete, Brown, 63 yards (TD) -- This was supposed to be the requisite hey-lets-get-your-feet-wet screen, but Brown busted through the middle for the score. Luck matched Peyton Manning's first preseason pass, which was also a score. Luck's pass traveled maybe three yards; Manning's -- a slant to Marvin Harrison -- probably went seven in the air.
Second Drive (7-0, IND 17: 3 plays, 4 yards, punt)
- 1st-and-10: Incomplete (Wayne) -- Luck was flushed after a play-action fake, and threw incomplete to Wayne. His presence and footwork was positive, at the least, though the pass wasn't executed.
Third Drive (7-0, IND 47: 7 plays, 53 yards, TD)
- 2nd-and-13: Complete, Collie, 10 yards -- Again, Luck was under pressure, but this time after he got out of the pocket he was able to find Collie for a good gain to bring up third and short.
- 3rd-and-3: Complete, Hilton, 12 yards -- Luck's fellow rookie, T.Y. Hilton, bailed him out on a high throw. However, a lower throw could have ended in a pick-6 the other. Overall, a great pass-and-catch between two newcomers.
- 2nd-and-7: Complete, Fleener, 5 yards -- Luck and Fleener played together at Stanford and are expected to have many more of these connections this season.
- 1st-and-10: Complete, Collie, 23 yards (TD) -- A very encouraging pass from Luck to Collie. Luck was able to look off the safety and fit a nice pass over the cornerback to Collie on a deep out.
Fourth Drive (14-3, IND 20: 13 plays, 80 yards, TD)
- 1st-and-10: Complete, Moore, 9 yards: Luck faked an end around before hitting Moore on a screen.
- 2nd-and-1 (No huddle): Incomplete (Brazill): A drop by Brazill.
- 1st-and-10: Incomplete (Fleener): Drop. Again.
- 2nd-and-10: Incomplete (Collie): Drop. Again. By Austin Collie.
- 3rd-and-10: Complete, Collie, 12 yards: Luck went right back to Collie -- he's earned the trust, I'd say -- on a quick out which Collie stretched for 12 yards and a first down.
- 1st-and-10: Complete, Brazill, 12 yards: Luck then went back to Brazill, who made a nice catch on a high throw over the middle.
- 1st-and-10: Incomplete (Collie): Luck was flushed, bought time by scrambling, and threw the ball away.
- 3rd-and-9: Complete, Brazill, 10 yards: Another tough pass by Luck, but Brazill made a nifty one-handed catch and had an impressive run after to get another first down.
- 1st-and-10: Complete, Cosby, 32 yards: Probably Luck's best throw of the day, a back shoulder toss between the safeties and Cosby made a great catch in traffic. Stopped just short of the goal line.
- 1st-and-goal: Incomplete (Reitz): Offensive guard Joe Reitz lined up as eligible, and Luck airmailed him in the endzone. Luck owes that guy some dinners.
For more up-to-the-minute news and analysis from Colts blogger Evan Hilbert, follow @CBSSportsNFLIND