Tua Tagovailoa entered Week 3 as an early MVP candidate, and now his Dolphins have made NFL history as one of the best offenses to ever take the field. Racking up more than 700 yards, Miami scored 70 points in a blowout win over the Broncos on Sunday -- winning 70-20 over the Denver Broncos -- the most by any NFL team in 57 years. Raheem Mostert had four touchdowns to help propel the historic victory.
The Dolphins rewrote the record books on this historic day. Here's a few of their historic accomplishments (in the NFL and for the franchise):
- Fourth 70-plus-point game in NFL history (including postseason). The other three were the 1940 Bears (73 in the NFL championship game) the 1966 Washington team (72), and the 1950 Rams (70).
- Second-most yards in a game in NFL history (726) ... only the 1951 Rams (735) had more in the NFL record book.
- First team in NFL history with five passing TDs and five rushing TDs in a game.
- Second team in NFL history with multiple players with four TDs in a game (2004 Chiefs were the other).
- Second team since at least 1940 with 300-plus pass yards and 300-plus rush yards in a single game (the 2012 49ers also accomplished this).
- Ran 71 plays and averaged 10.2 yards per play -- the most yards per play by a team with 70-plus offensive plays ran since 1960
- Second-largest win in franchise history (beat Patriots, 52-0 in 1972)
- First 50-point win in the NFL since 2014 (Rams beat Raiders, 52-0)
- The final score was one .
The Dolphins scored more points on Sunday (70) than the Broncos have all season (69). Miami has 1,651 yards of offense through three games, the most in NFL history. The Dolphins have scored 130 points through three games, tied for the second-most by any team through three games in NFL history (1968 Cowboys had 132).
Some player notes on the Dolphins historic win:
- Tua Tagovailoa had more TD passes (4) than incompletions (3)
- Tagovailoa has won 10 straight games vs Super Bowl-winning head coaches, now the longest such streak in NFL history
- Tagovailoa inside the numbers: 20 of 20, 273 yards, four touchdowns, 13.7 yards per attempt
- Tagovailoa had more TD passes (4) than incompletions (3)
- Raheem Mostert and De'Von Achane each tied the franchise record for TD in a game (4)
- Achane set the Dolphins rookie record for rush yards in a game (203)
- Tyreek Hill had his 23rd career 50-yard touchdown -- the 10th-most in NFL history
And then there's the fantasy perspective from the blowout, provided by CBS Sports fantasy guru Chris Towers.
- De'Von Achane and Raheem Mostert had 51 and 45 Fantasy points in PPR scoring. They're the second pair of non-QB teammates to have 45+ PPR points in the same game (with Kevin Curtis and Brian Westbrook in Week 3 of 2007).
- This was the fourth time ever two teammates have had 40+ points, though you don't have to go too far back to find the last one: Tyreek Hill and Jaylen Waddle in Week 2 of last season. Here's a look at the others:
1. Tyreek Hill and Jaylen Waddle (Dolphins-Ravens, Sept 18 of 2022)
2. Devonta Freeman and Julio Jones (Falcons-Cowboys, Sept. 27 of 2015)
3. Kevin Curtis and Brian Westbrook (Eagles-Lions, Sept. 23 of 2007)
4. Derrick Blaylock and Priest Holmes (Chiefs-Falcons, Oct. 24 of 2004)
- Achane and Mostert became the second pair of teammates to each have four touchdowns, after that Holmes/Blaylock game in 2004. Blaylock had 40.6 PPR points, Holmes had 45.